Well, my freshman year of college has come to an end, and I’d be lying if I said it was everything I expected. In fact, I would say that it was full of surprises! I learned a lot about myself, met some amazing people, and finished the year with 3.9 GPA! I started this blog at the beginning of my freshman year with a few goals, so I wanted to write this post to reflect on whether or not those goals were met, to look back on some of my favorite memories, and to set some goals for my sophomore year.
Freshman Year Goals:
- Improve web design/development skills – well, this one was kind of a bust. Within about two weeks of starting my first class for my information technology degree, I knew I had picked the wrong major. Thankfully, I managed to get a B in that class (which I’m very proud of given the grade distribution), and I changed my major to advertising-public relations. I’m in LOVE with my major now, and I decided to add a second major to spice things up: writing and rhetoric!
- Cook more often – I mean, I didn’t exactly meet this goal, but I didn’t fail at it either. I cooked a little more than I used to, and I learned a few easy recipes (like zucchini chips and shrimp stir fry) that I’ve become quite good at!
- Live a healthier life – again, I sort of half met this goal. I have a gym membership that I should probably have used a little more, but on the plus side, I’ve cut out red and processed meats from my diet!
Overall, I would say I met my academic goals pretty successfully. If it hadn’t been for that one insane programming class, I would have had a 4.0 GPA – but I’m happy with a 3.9! Another big accomplishment: I joined Her Campus UCF and had several articles shared nationally, with my most recent article getting almost 500 views! I’m going to continue sharing some of my writing for HC UCF on this blog over the summer, so that’s exciting too! I joined Ad Club and next semester I’ll also be in UCF’s PR club, and hopefully I’ll have an internship too – I’m still waiting to hear back on my first application, but fingers crossed.
Freshman Year Memories:
I couldn’t have asked for a better freshman year of college, and I’m so excited to take on sophomore year! I decided to set three goals to try to meet this year…
Sophomore Year Goals:
- Straight A’s – for real this time! I don’t plan on changing majors again, and I’m set on acing all of my classes from here on out. No more programming mishaps for me!
- Work on writing/photography – I’m getting a Nikon D3400 pretty soon, so expect some much higher quality photos on my blog and on my social media soon! If anyone has any tips for a beginning photographer, please drop a comment – I’d love to talk to you! Also, I want to continue to improve my writing, both for my blog and for Her Campus UCF.
- Complete an internship – hopefully I’ll have met this goal by the end of the fall semester, but if not, I hope to have done at least one internship by the end of my sophomore year.
Thank you SO much to all of you who have followed me on my freshman year journey via this blog. I think I’ve learned a lot about myself by writing, and I can’t wait to continue to grow! I’m planning on more frequent updates in the coming months, hopefully on a weekly basis. Also, I have an Instagram set up solely for this blog now, check it out if you’re interested!
I hope your year was as magical as mine was! Here’s to an amazing summer, and an even more magical sophomore year.